Kenilworth Rugby Club

Kenilworth defeat Level 5 Broadstreet


Kenilworth put in a superb performance to secure a six-point victory away to local rivals Broadstreet, writes Willie Whitesmith.

This game was originally billed as the Warwickshire Cup semi final (a cup that Kenilworth have never won) but due to non availabilities, retirements, injuries and the requirement for newly signed players to have played four games, Kenilworth could not field the five competent front row replacements that were required and hence conceded the cup tie to Broadstreet. Both teams agreed however to fulfil the fixture and it was downgraded to a pre season friendly. The other semi final was played on Wednesday night (28th Aug) between Sutton Coldfield & Rugby Lions with Lions winning. However both teams admitted in their pre and post match information that new players had been played. Theoretically the cup is now Broadstreet’s, who ironically also had many new players on show! 

Almost straight from kick off a bad injury was sustained by a Broadstreet prop. Once play had resumed Kenilworth took an early lead with a superb forwards try from captain Bobby Thompson. New fly half Will Davies duly converted from a wide position. Kenilworth continued to dominate with both forwards and backs playing with great structure and they were rewarded with a second try from second row Tondi Mpambawashe, this time not converted. The dominance continued and a Will Davies penalty increased the lead to 15-0. Broadstreet then came back hard with a converted try but Kenilworth closed out the half with a superb long range Will Davies penalty for an 18-7 lead.

The second half opened with a much changed Broadstreet exerting a lot of pressure but it was Kenilworth who responded well. Just after a Will Davies try was ruled out, scrum half Gaz Renowden touched down and with another superb Will Davies conversion Kenilworth led 25-7 with fifteen minutes remaining. Broadstreet had no option but to come back harder and this they did scoring two late tries to leave the score at 25-19 going into injury time. With Broadstreet camped on the Kenilworth line there was great relief (from the large Kenilworth support) when the referee called for a Kenilworth penalty. Game over and a 25-19 win over their higher ranked opponents. Coach Dave Ellis was a happy man with both his regulars and new recruits performing well. A very impressive performance with still more players (new and old) to return.

Return to News Page

Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.
CONGU® is Copyright Council of National Golf Unions.