Kenilworth Rugby Club

Grantham hat trick helps Kenilworth secure first away win


Kenilworth travelled to Walmley Road for their first away league game of the season, with a powerful display securing a 45-12 bonus point victory against Sutton Coldfield, writes Phil Morris.

The starting line-up featured two of last year’s Colts while a third was on the bench and there were impressive performances from fly half Will Davies and Bryn Grantham who was drafted in at full back.

Kenilworth kicked off in bright sunshine and within five minutes, after two penalties, Will Davies’ superb kick-and-chase delivered an early try in the corner for the new fly half. The subsequent conversion narrowly missed the uprights, leaving Kenilworth with an early 5-0 lead. 

The visitors’ early pressure then continued and they looked in control of proceedings with a stronger scrum and many penalties awarded in their favour. A 25m penalty attempt on goal narrowly missed by Davies at the ten-minute mark was followed by a strong multi-phase Sutton Coldfield attack during which Kenilworth’s defence held strong.

A Kenilworth lineout in the Sutton Coldfield corner followed by a textbook catch and drive set Nick Gerber up for try number two, and with Will Davies’ conversation the score went to 12-0, meaning Kenilworth had almost scored a point-per-minute.

The next 15 minutes witnessed two further Kenilworth tries which saw Grantham go from creator to scorer. The first of these came from a superb run from Grantham and offload to Nyle Beckett who sprinted over the line for five more points with the conversion also added. The second saw Mikkel Andresen embark on a powerful run from a Kenilworth scrum before passing to Grantham who finished off for try number four. With the second try’s conversion missed, Kenilworth held a healthy 24-0 lead.

Despite the deficit, Sutton Coldfield continue to press the Kenilworth defence and their reward for their persistence came late in the half through their first try of the afternoon, after Mikkel Andresen was rather harshly yellow-carded for coming in at the side. The conversion hit the post bringing the first half to an end with Kenilworth holding a 24-5 advantage.

The first ten minutes of the second half saw both sides trading possession. With Mikkel Andresen’s return, Kenilworth pushed on again with a lineout setting up a further try from a maul, with hooker Luke Truslove grounding the ball. Will Davies’ boot was again on target to extend visitors’ lead to 31 – 5.

Sutton Coldfield then responded with pace and energy, going through the phases in several attacks.  Kenilworth’s defence was tested but Sutton Coldfield errors contributed meant they couldn’t add to their first half score.

Having absorbed all that pressure from the hosts, Kenilworth’s next try came from Will Davies gathering a spilled ball and passing to Grantham for his second try. Davies added the extras for a 38-5 lead. 

The hosts then launched a further wave of attacks and secured their second try of the match in the last ten minutes, taking things to 38 – 12. Sutton Coldfield’s pressure continued but Kenilworth secured the final points of the contest when Grantham collected a loose ball and charged over the line to secure an impressive hat trick. Will Davies converted, as Kenilworth came out on top 45-12.

Next Saturday, Kenilworth return to Glasshouse Lane their third league match of the season against. Whitchurch. Kick off is at 3pm.

Return to News Page

Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.
CONGU® is Copyright Council of National Golf Unions.