Kenilworth Rugby Club

Kenilworth 2nd XV back to winning ways against Berkswell and Balsall

The game started with Kenilworth kicking to the hosts and playing with the slight slope down hill. Berkswell tried for clearance kicks several times only for fly half Jack Rawlins to send the ball back with some well placed kicks of his own to keep the hosts under constant pressure in their own 22. The first try came after less than 5 minutes. Powerful prop Jake Byrne received the ball at pace and broke through several tackles to score the first try of the game. Converted by scrum half Dan Sibley. 0-7

Under more pressure from Kenilworth, the hosts continued to try and kick for territory but the ball fell into the hands of speedy fullback Sam Morris which they soon realised was a mistake. Berkswell players shouted “don’t let him run” but they struggled to contain Morris throughout the first half. On the 10 minute mark the reliable Rhys Jones broke through several tackles in mid field and was looking like running one in from the half way line. With his legs fading, Jones found winger Ollie Sharples in support who ran in comfortably for the 2nd try of the match. Again converted by Sibley who was excellent with the boot all game. 0-14 

Kenilworth looked comfortable and were going through well structured phases when an unexpected full width cross field kick from Dan Sibley was caught by winger Ollie Sharples. Sharples used his footwork to beat several defenders before finding the support of 2nd row Ben Roberts who ran in under the posts. Great vision by Sibley and fantastic work by Sharples and Roberts for finishing it off. Sibley converted to make the score 0-21

Kenilworth turned the screw again and from a penalty kicked for touch close to the Berkswell try line. The Kenilworth lineout which was fantastic all game set up a catch and drive. On the back of the pack was flanker Dan Retter who went over from close range for his first try of the game in the corner. Again converted by Sibley with a kick most professionals would be proud of. 

Half time score 0-28.

The 2nd half started with the hosts using the slope to their advantage and a period of pressure in the Kenilworth half was absorbed well. Kenilworth soon started to enjoy possession again and worked their way back into the hosts 22 through regular line breaks and the boot of Rawlins. 

After several missed try scoring opportunities and dropped balls, Dan Retter got on to the end of an attack out wide and ran in for his 2nd try of the game. No conversion. 0-33

With all the excitement and great attacking work on display, Kenilworth lost structure and conceded a soft try through too many missed tackles and silly offsides. 5-33

Berkswell grew in confidence and Kenilworth needed to tighten up in defence. With many tired legs and players out of position, it was Jacob Line who lead the efforts in tackling and at the breakdown preventing any further attack from Berkswell turning into more points. 

The final try of the match came in the final play. Some quick hands in the backs (now made up of two props, a 2nd row and back row) ended with Dan Retter swan diving in for his 3rd Try. 

Sibley converted to make the final score 40-5 to Kenilworth. 

The stand out performance voted for by management and echoed by several players was that of open side flanker Jacob Line who maintained an outstanding work rate throughout the whole 80 minutes. Line was fantastic in defence and carried aggressively whenever he got his hands on the ball. Special mention to Dan Retter who scored 3 tries and the front row who excelled at scrum time and displayed some fantastic hands when standing out in the backs. At times it looked like a number 1 was missing from their shirts.


A McKenzie

Return to News Page

Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.
CONGU® is Copyright Council of National Golf Unions.