Kenilworth Rugby Club

Bonus point Sutton Coldfield win keeps Kenilworth in second at Christmas

Kenilworth 37 Sutton Coldfield 7

In the first return game of the season, Kenilworth gave Sutton a very warm festive welcome to Glasshouse Lane and went on to secure a 37-7 bonus point victory to remain in second spot in the league this Christmas, writes Phil Morris.


With dull, overcast skies from the start, it was Kenilworth’s performance that lit up the next 80 minutes after Sutton kicked off as the hosts applied the early pressure, with a good scrum and a penalty kick. The latter was slotted by Jayde Cruickshank for a three-point lead in as many minutes. 

Sutton fought back with some good possession. Kenilworth’s defence held, however, switching to attack with a turnover and a further penalty kick from Cruickshank which doubling their advantage. Kenilworth absorbed another wave of Sutton’s advances, stealing the ball and swinging the pendulum back again. Bobby Thompson made a breakthrough run, shipping it to Garrett Bell for a try in the corner. With Cruickshank missing the kick it was 11-0 with twenty minutes played.

The pressure was maintained and after a ball was held-up over Sutton’s line, Kenilworth’s attacking scrum allowed Thompson so touch down. No extras were added from Cruickshank but a decent the try gave Kenilworth a decent 16-0 lead. Sutton attacked again, but again Kenilworth responded, with Cruickshank making a great run and kick. With the ball recycled, Jake Dodd scored try number three as the forwards drove over the line with Cruickshank successfully adding the extras for a 23-0 half-time lead.

Kenilworth kicked off the second half and with ten minutes played, Charlie Stevens started an attack down the right, moving the ball to Gareth Renowden and onwards to Sam Morris on the wing for a great finish and his first points of the season. Cruickshank converted for a 30-0 lead. This was swiftly followed by a move on the left of the field involving Tom Naismith and Sam Harrison with Callum Armstrong scoring in the corner and Cruickshank adding the extra two points for a 37-0 advantage.

A scrappy few minutes followed with the steadily falling rain resulting in some handling errors from both sides before Sutton secured a penalty that they kicked into the corner. Sutton’s pick and drive saw them over the line for a late (and deserved) converted try with the match finishing with a final scoreline of 37 – 7.

The Sheldon Bosley Knight Players of the Match were Jayde Cruickshank and Will Davies with hooker Charlie Morris also getting a mention for his 1st XV debut.

Kenilworth’s next outing is on Saturday 4th January when they travel to Whitchurch.

Return to News Page

Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2.
CONGU® is Copyright Council of National Golf Unions.