Kenilworth Rugby Club

Five-try Kenilworth stay top with Silhillians bonus point win

Kenilworth remain top of Midlands 2 West (South) following a convincing 36-7 victory over Silhillians at Glasshouse Lane on Saturday, writes Sophie Freestone.

The hosts scored five tries with Alex Selby adding 11 points from the boot. The result sees them stay four points clear of second-placed Kidderminster in the race for promotion.

Kenilworth started the match strongly coming away with three points on their first foray into Silhillians' territory. Fly half Alex Selby slotted a penalty to give the hosts a three-point lead after just four minutes of play.

David Ellis' men continued to dominate the opening fifteen minutes of the match, with the majority of both possession and territory. Their efforts were rewarded after 15 minutes when hooker Harry Abell went over for the first try of the afternoon. Kenilworth secured ball at a 5m scrum and drove in-field allowing Abell to touch down by the posts. The conversion from Selby took Kenilworth into double figures with a 10-0 advantage.

Silhillians looked dangerous mid-way through the first half but resolute defence kept the visitors at bay and Kenilworth finished the half strongly with two tries in as many minutes. 

The first of these came after a superb inside pass from Selby released captain Bobby Thompson into space in the middle of the park just outside the Silhillians 22. Dave Bromfield was in support to receive Thompson's pass and an excellent take saw the prop race towards the line and touch down by the posts. Selby added the extras for a 17-point advantage.

The second saw Thompson go from assister to scorer with the number eight going over after a rolling maul made good ground in Silhillians' 22. Selby once again slotted the conversion as Kenilworth went into the break with a commanding 24-0 lead. 

Silhillians started the second half brightly but Kenilworth remained in control in the opening stages as they looked to secure the try bonus point. The visitors then enjoyed a sustained period of pressure in the Kenilworth half, however, and eventually capitalised in the 53rd minute with the first try of the second forty. A sublime line from David McNidder sliced the Kenilworth defence in two and the outside centre touched down under the uprights for what would be his side's only try. The conversion cut the deficit to 17 points.

Kenilworth did not let Silhillians make a comeback, however, and a series of drives from the forwards took the ball closer to the line and scrum half Gareth Renowden went over after 60 minutes. That try secured the bonus point and Selby added the two points from the tee for a 31-7 lead heading into the final quarter.

With the bonus point secured, Kenilworth did not let up and Ed Hannam completed the scoring for the afternoon with two minutes remaining. Great passing from the back line released Hannam into space on the right and the number 13 went over in the corner to seal an impressive 36-7 victory.

Kenilworth have a break from league action this weekend as their attentions to turn to the Intermediate Cup. They travel to Olney on Saturday for their Midlands semi final which kicks off at 2:15pm.

Return to News Page

Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2
CONGU® is Copyright Council of National Golf Unions.